Unbelievably easy Rough Puff pastry - Quick and easy to make and tasted infinitely better than store bought (30 -45 minutes only)! No long waiting times, to make this amazing pastry and NOONE will know you took a shortcut!
- 2.1 oz / 60g butter grated and frozen
- 7 oz / 200g butter grated and frozen
- 12.3 oz / 350g flour that has been kept in the freezer for a couple of hours
- 8-10 tbsp of ice cold water I used about 9.5 tbsp
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp lemon / lime juice optional
- In a bowl, combine the flour, salt and the 60g of butter. With your fingers quickly rub the butter into the flour.
- Add the lemon and water, a tablespoon at a time, while mixing with a wooden spoon or your finger tips to bring the dough together.
- Add enough water to form a firm dough (that is not tacky or too wet).
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for about a minute, and leave it to rest for about 5 minutes (in the fridge).
- Roll the dough out into a long rectangle.
- Sprinkle 100g of grated butter on 2/3rds of the area of this rectangle.
- Fold over the portion without butter, towards the middle.
- Then fold over the other end, over the first fold. You completed one fold (while laminating butter).
- Turn the dough 90 degrees and roll it out to form another long rectangle.
- Repeat with the rest of the butter and fold over, (completed 2nd fold with second lamination) and turn 90 degrees. Now you have incorporated all the butter in two folds.
- Complete 3 more folds so you have folded the dough about 5 times. You shouldn't need to refrigerate between folds, if you work quickly, HOWEVER if it's a hot day and the butter starts to seep through, keep the dough in the freezer for about 10 minutes to harden the butter and continue.
- After the fifth and final folding, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and store it in the fridge until needed.
- Let it rest for at least 2 hours before using. (I prefer to leave it longer, even overnight for best results.)
- If you're not using it right away, cut the dough in half, wrap individual pieces in plastic wrap and store in the freezer.