Dairy Free Cream of mushroom soup is vegan, gluten free, and the ultimate comfort food. Combining 3 delicious things, creamy food, mushrooms, and soup, how can you go wrong?
- 8 oz. package of mushrooms (I use cremini)
- 1 tbsp canola oil or other neutral flavored oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups PLAIN soy milk or other plain milk of choice or 2 cups plant milk 2 cups water
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup potato starch or corn starch
- 1 cup cold water
- Chop the mushrooms into small bit sized pieces.
- Put oil and mushrooms in the pan with the salt and sauté the mushrooms at medium heat until they get darker and release their juices.
- Add milk, garlic powder, paprika, and black pepper.
- Heat until the soup just barely begins to bubble then reduce the heat to low.
- In a separate bowl, mix the potato or corn starch and water. Stir until it dissolves completely.
- Pour the starch mixture into the hot soup stirring constantly.
- Continue to heat the soup on low until it thickens and just starts to bubble.
- Turn off heat and serve hot.
- Potato starch gives it a slightly better texture and flavor than corn starch, but if you don't have it corn starch will work well too.
- If you are using thicker soy milk to make this like Silk brand or equivalent, use 2 cups milk and 2 cups water.
- You can also use unsweetened plant based milk in this recipe.
- Do not use vanilla flavored plant milk.
- You may also thicken this soup by adding 1/4 cup of oil and 1/4 cup of flour to the bottom of a second soup pot. Heat the flour and oil for a minute then slowly ladle in the hot broth stirring with a whisk between each scoop of liquid until all of the soup is added and it begins to bubble.
- If using the method with oil and flour, still add the extra cup of water, just don't add the cornstarch.