These Salted Caramel Brownie Bites are made with a simple, from-scratch, brownie batter and are filled with a rich (easy to make!) caramel filling! Top everything off with a sprinkle of flaky sea salt for a dessert you’ll be coming back to over and over again!
- 12 Tablespoons unsalted butter cut into Tablespoon-sized pieces
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips (100g)
- ½ cup natural cocoa powder (50g)
- ½ teaspoon instant coffee grounds optional
- 1 cup tightly packed light or dark brown sugar (200g)
- ½ cup granulated sugar (100g)
- 2 large eggs + 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour (140g)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 35 caramels
- ½ cup heavy cream (115ml)
- Fine sea salt, for sprinkling
- Preheat your oven to 350F (175C) and spray a 24-count mini muffin tin with baking spray**
- Combine butter and chocolate chips in a large, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir well, microwave for another 15 seconds and then stir well again. Repeat for 15 seconds until chocolate and butter are completely melted and well-combined.
- Stir in cocoa powder, instant coffee, and sugars, then add eggs, egg yolk and vanilla extract and beat well.
- In a separate, medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until well-combined.
- Drop batter by 1 1/2 Tablespoon into prepared mini muffin tin.
- Transfer to 350F (175C) oven and bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few fudgy crumbs (not wet batter!).
- Immediately after baking take a rounded teaspoon or Tablespoon and press into each brownie bite to make a well (see photo in post for example).
- Allow brownie bites to cool while you prepare your caramel filling.
- Prepare your caramel filling by combining caramels and heavy cream in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir frequently until caramel is completely melted and mixture is smooth, then remove from heat.
- Use a spoon to pour melted caramel into each brownie bite.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and allow to cool completely before serving.
- **Baking spray is not the same as standard cooking spray. Baking spray should have flour listed in the ingredients, this will keep your brownies from sticking. I've found that if I use regular cooking spray I can't get my brownies out of the tin.
- If you don't have baking spray you can lightly grease and flour the sides and bottom of each mini muffin well (make sure to shake out excess flour).